Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Rest Overslept Themselves

And then there were eight. From the Agatha Christie book. No? And Then There Were None. Anyone? You know the original title of that book? I'm getting off topic.

Football! That's right, playoffs this weekend, with four games, one more intriguing than the other, and I gotta get my two cents in. And I'm so terrible at picking winners and scores, you can mostly chalk this up to some comedic relief before the game. It's better than that hack Frank Caliendo and his "comedic" picks.

So let's go in order...


Saints Vs 49ers
San+Francisco+49ers+v+New+Orleans+Saints+4fK61giZYqMl

What to say about this game? I think that the winner of this game goes to the Super Bowl for the NFC. That's one thing I can say. I've been following the 49ers much more than the Saints this year tho. The only bit I saw of them is when they slaughtered the Giants during the regular season. Embarrassing. But I think my money is on the 49ers today. I don't know why but I think after that defensive domination I saw in the BCS championship by Alabama, I feel like people are figuring out how to quash these potent offenses which is all New Orleans really is. Plus I think if Brees isn't getting his normal easy completions he's gonna start throwing bombs everywhere and I like the chance for some turnovers on San Francisco's side. I dunno. Let's say a low scoring game New Orleans 19, San Francisco 23. That is low scoring for New Orleans.


Broncos Vs Patriots
bos_120113_bos_reiss_3_key_final

Good vs evil. East vs West. God vs the Devil. Call it what you will, it's gonna be a good game I bet. Brady & the Belichiks on the brink of inobscurity. Tebow and his minions going out with nothing to lose and everything to gain. I will not be surprised to see the Broncos really give the Patriots a hard time out there and keep it real close. I think the Patriots are going to use a strategy of intelligent design (no pun intended) to try and confuse Tebow and stifle his explosive plays, but I think what they take for granted is that Tebow doesn't play intelligent football where he reads defenses and gets a feel for the blitz and so on. He just yells hike and let's his neanderthal instincts take over. Tebow GO!. Ha. Watch this... Denver 31- New England 28. Surprise.


Texans Vs Ravens
92969_Texans_Ravens_Football

Okay, I gotta admit I don't care as much about this game as the other three, but in saying that I do think that the winner of this game goes to the Super Bowl for the AFC. And I think that team will be the Ravens. I just think it's their time, with Steelers gone, Colts a joke, Patriots not their old selves. This is the fourth born kid taking center stage after the oldest leave the nest. And I don't mind that. Baltimore and 49ers in the Super Bowl. Two teams I haven't seen there lately. One step at a time tho. Houston 10, Baltimore 25. Only blowout.


Giants vs Packers
3381664632

It's easy to be a humble Giants fan this year, after the hot and cold season they had and the way they backed into the playoffs, for once competing in a pathetic division, but after the last couple of games against the Jets and Falcons, I'm sorry, you gotta feel good about this team and at least a little excited to see them give Green Bay a run for their money. I don't want to jinx and make comparisons to 2007's run to the Super Bowl and so on, but the Giants seem to be clicking here, running, passing, blocking, sacking. They look darn good, but it's not hard to imagine the Packers have been laying low and letting everyone lower their expectations so they can come out blazing tomorrow night. Yeah, that's what they're doing. So this is a biased pick, but aren't they all. New York 34, Green Bay 31.