Monday, March 31, 2008
Anyhow, on opening day #3.0 the Mets will play the Marlins. Sanatana is starting. Excited am I. 4:10 is start time. Right now I'm just watching the Cubs/Brewers game, which is a good match-up for their opening day. A lotta people got the Cubs going to the World Series and some even winning it this year. I think that whole 1908/100 year dry spell thing would make it very poetic and all, but I dunno. I ain't buying it. I used to love the Cubs, it being the favorite team of our adopted grandfather Joe, but some of their players bother me. Zambrano is great and all but kind of an ass, and I just plain don't like Ryan Theriot. He threw a little girl hissy fit in a game against the Mets last year, and it just wasn't pretty. I do however like Derek Lee, Alfonso Soriano, and really wanna see how good this Kosuke Fokudome is gonna be. So if the Mets fall out of the race, I'll root for the Cubs, in the NL Central at least. But c'mon, it's opening day. I think. I hope.
She's been having a great time visiting her family so I hear, playing basketball, helping Kevin get ready for prom, playing DDR with Madison. I hope gets on that plane.
She plans on bringing the top of our wedding cake home with her, since tomorrow is our 1 year anniversary and you're supposed to eat the rest of your cake. I don't think I even got a piece of that thing on our wedding day, but everyone told me it was delicious so I'm looking forward to it. I just hope she doesn't run into any problems at security. I can just picture some crusty old TSA agent sticking his fingers into our cake, tearing it apart, rendering it an unidentifiable pile of mush. Don't get me wrong, I'll still eat it, just won't be happy about it.
I did a little research about security check points to see what their policy was on wedding cake and didn't find anything to worry about. But I did find these interesting facts:
TSA Week At A Glance (March 24-30, 2008)
- 15 passengers were arrested due to suspicious behavior or fraudulent travel documents
- 16 firearms found at checkpoints
- 4 artfully concealed prohibited items found at checkpoints
- 12 incidents that involved a checkpoint closure, terminal evacuation or sterile area breach
- 17 disruptive passengers on flights
Yowza! Seems like there's bigger issues than wedding cakes coming thru the x-ray. Now I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that when I see Frans shining face she's not carrying a dirty fork and have icing on her chin.
Sunday, March 30, 2008
- Interpol - Untitled
- Kaki King - Can Anyone Who has Heard This Music Really Be A Bad Person?
- Collections Of Colonies Of Bees - Flocks I
- Jeffrey Lewis - Banned From The Roxy [Crass cover]
- Los Campesinos! - This Is How You Spell "Hahaha, We Destroyed The Hopes And Dreams Of A Generation Of Faux-Romantics"
- A Weather - Small Potatoes
- What Made Milwaukee Famous - Sultan
- Blood On The Wall - Sorry Sorry Sarah
- The Ruby Suns - Tane Mahuta
- Jim White -Blindly We Go
- The Big Sleep - Sleep Forever
- Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra - Blindblindblind
- We Are Scientists - Let's See It
- Bob Mould - The Silence Between Us
- Human Bell - Splendor And Concealment
- Animal Collective - Water Curses
- Cadence Weapon - Tattoos And What They Really Feel Like
- The Dirtbombs - Indivisible
- Down With The Butterfly - Work Sleep Rise
- Mgmt - The Youth
- Jack Peñate - Have I Been A Fool?
Ok so that is it for the mixes, on here anyway, for now, I think. We'll see how it goes. They may be back. No promises.
Saturday, March 29, 2008
I've recently been pondering the possibility of rehabilitating ye ole music blog by the name of Hummer. I haven't touched the thing since before the summer of 2006 and then kinda forgot about it. Further, it has been brought to my attention that I've been posting more than my fair share about music on this here blog and I can imagine that it has perturbed our already minute yet loyal community of readers.
Then upon driving Francis (the Informer) to the airport the other morning we passed a large truck with the word "Hummer" emblazoned on the side, so I took that as a sign. Then today on a random mix of the 90,213 songs on my iTunes, the sites namesake, Hummer by none other than the Smashing Pumpkins popped up in the mix. Sign numero dos.
The only problem is, before, it was like a job. I felt some kind of obligation to post everyday (kinda like I do now with The Estlers). And posting the actual mp3s up there is a nightmare. I just don't feel like doing all that. I guess I can just do whatever I want tho. I mean, the only reason for doing all this is so I can go back in 20 years and read it all and see: what I'm doing/what I'm into/what a geek I am.
That being said, tomorrow morning I will post the weekly mix as planned (and maybe a quarterly music wrap-up), but that will probably be it, for this site anyhow. Any and all music posts will be hereby excommunicated to the site formerly (and latterly) known as Hummer.
Have a good day/nite/life.
'arcus incus ululat'
Friday, March 28, 2008
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Haha, not for good, just for the weekend. She is at this very moment on a plane to Georgia to spend some time with the family. She misses them. Hopefully it's a nice relaxing weekend where she can spend some quality time just catching up with everyone. Her Mom just got a new job, Kevin has a brand new girlfriend/prom date, Mariah, and I'm sure Madison grew like 4 feet. So that will be nice. I hope she comes back.
In the meantime I will probably lock myself inside my room and tie myself to the computer chair. I started a little project on Monday that I thought would take only a couple days but after just a couple days is nowhere near even being a tenth complete. I'm not gonna even try to explain it to you because you wouldn't understand and if I took the time to get you to understand you would realize that you really do not care anyhow.
Monday, March 24, 2008
...Oakland Athletics vs. Boston Red Sox
Major League Baseball season 2008 begins.
I just tried to create a fantasy league; major bust. It's a bit complicated. I guess I can just make division predictions. Yeah I'll do that. Gimme a second.
Ok try this on for size
- New York Mets
- Philadelphia Phillies
- Atlanta Braves
- Washington Nationals
- Florida Marlins
- Chicago Cubs
- Milwaukee Brewers (wild card)
- Cincinnati Reds
- Houston Astros
- St. Louis Cardinals
- Pittsburgh Pirates
- Los Angeles Dodgers
- Colorado Rockies
- San Diego Padres
- Arizona Diamondbacks
- San Francisco Giants
- Boston Red Sox
- Toronto Blue Jays
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Baltimore Orioles
- Detroit Tigers
- Cleveland Indians (wild card)
- Minnesota Twins
- Chicago White Sox
- Kansas City Royals
- Los Angeles Angels
- Seattle Mariners
- Oakland Athletics
- Texas Rangers
I hereby proclaim that today, the 24th of March, will be known throughout the land, or at least my room, as Kaki King day. It's not very often I become as agog with a singular band, nonetheless a singular person, as I have with her the past couple days. She just put out her fourth album, Dreaming of Revenge, and it's crazy good. Buy it so she can make another one.
Goby (one of my favorites)
Gay Sons Of Lesbian Mothers (love this)
Yellow Cake (she sings too)
Playing With Pink Noise (check the fretwork)
Mark your calendars.
Sunday, March 23, 2008
- Omar Rodriguez-Lopez - Grey (Cancion Para El)
- The Breeders - Overglazed
- Black Mountain - Angels
- Headlights - On April 2
- Jason Collett - Waiting For The World
- Elbow - Friend Of Ours*
- Tom Waits - Tom Traubert's Blues
- British Sea Power - A Trip Out
- Evangelicals - Party Crashin'
- Cold War Kids - Hair Down
- Dodos - Fools
- Apes & Androids - Nights Of The Week
- The Outfield - Your Love
- Born Ruffians - Hummingbird
- Pixies - La La Love You
- Joe Purdy - Can't Get It Right Today
- Thao Nguyen - Swimming Pools
- Better Than Ezra - Rewind
- She & Him - Sweet Darlin'
- The Concretes - Kids
- The Get Up Kids - Alec Eiffel [Pixies cover]
Lotsa brand new stuff this week. And Kim Deal everywhere. Not very Easter-y but I don't really know any Easter songs. Maybe that Rickie Lee & The Blue Nile tune Easter Parade. I love that song. I'm gonna go hear it.
* Song of the Week
On a lighter less Nazi-oriented note...
...We had to go to 4 stores tonight to find the last box of egg dye in the greater tri-state area. Check it...
Fran wasted no time & got right to it
I take a more hands-on approach
Ladies & Gentlemen, I give you MAN EGG!
The cats use our apparent distraction as a chance to plot an escape
Now we just have to wait and see if someone hides them or whatever. I dunno. It's been too long. I just want my eggs goldenrod.
Friday, March 21, 2008
Oh fun! Fran & I have been invited (not that you need to be invited, but it made us feel all warm and fuzzy inside) to a massive pillow fight in New York City on Saturday. Apparently this is an event takes place annually to celebrate the beginning of spring and well golly gee I just can't think of a better way to do exactly that. There's really not much else that I know other than to bring a pillow and show up at Union Square and be ready to "swing and whack as you evade pillow-wielding assailants!". Woah!
Unfortunately we were not notified early enough and have previous engagements to attend to so we will not be going to this years festivities, but it's nice to know people are going to be having such a great time and hopefully we'll make it out next year. Our pillows are safe.....for now.
Thursday, March 20, 2008
My mother mentioned to me today that I neglected to wish them a happy anniversary. It was the 18th. I was never very good at remembering these things but you'd think now that I have my own anniversary creeping up on me....time flies. Anyhow..
Sorry Mom & Dad.
those sideburns are tops
My favorite song right now is Friend Of Ours by Elbow. The Seldom Seen Kid is their brilliant new album. Pick it up.
Fran is on another cleaning spree. But this one was pretty effective. My sweaters have been color co-ordinated.
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
A few more facts that prove this theory:
- As of this writing, there are only two living survivors of the Titanic, and both of them claim to have been babies and too young to remember what happened. (How convenient)
- Even though some of the world's richest and most famous passengers were on the ship, not a single video was made of the Titanic sinking. (How convenient)
- Abraham Lincoln dies the exact same day the Titanic sinks, except 47 years prior! The Titanic had the capacity to carry 3,547 passengers aboard! They both have 47!!!! ((say it with me) How convenient)
- An iceberg was blamed for sinking the Titanic. Yeah right. Do they expect us to believe that ice--which is frozen water--is stronger than metal--the stuff they make swords out of? If icebergs are really that tough, then why don't people make boats out of icebergs instead? (Brilliant)
- If you take the word "TITANIC" and you remove the letters T, I, and T, and then you add the letters C, O, S, P, R, and Y, then it spells: CONSPIRACY
Sunday, March 16, 2008
- John Vanderslice - Underneath The Leaves
- Loch Lomond - Northern, Knees, Trees, And Lights
- Ani DiFranco - Jukebox
- The Promise Ring - Make Me A Chevy
- Look Mexico - I Like Being A Millionaire You Will Too, Believe Me
- Gilberto Gil - Frevo Rasgado
- Stars - Romantic Comedy
- Spacemen 3 - Take Me To The Other Side
- Smashing Pumpkins - Medellia Of The Gray Skies
- Tapes 'N Tapes - Le Ruse
- Great Lake Swimmers - Song For The Angels
- James - Laid
- Mystery Jets - Flakes*
- Dios - Fifty Cents
- Saul Williams - List Of Demands
- I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness - According To Plan
- Sonic Youth - 100%
- Shea Seger - Clutch
- Dangerdoom - El Chupa Nibre
- The Spinto Band - Trust Vs. Mistrust
- Sparrow House - Foxes (Sighing Like A Furnace)
Fran did the flow on this one. It brought her to tears. Or maybe it was my dancing on that Gilberto Gil track. Can't remember. Dig it.
*Song Of The Week
Friday, March 14, 2008
Waves Of Grain
The Amy Winehouse
The Red-Headed Stepchild
Trailer Park Sally
The Orlando Bloom
She briefly considered going blonde...
The Curly Sue
Then she decided to try for an all over kinda thing and see what a full makeover would look like...
The Inexpensive Lady-Of-The-Night (C***p W***e)
And as an encore, she wanted to see what it's be like to be me.
Can't wait to see which one she picks!!!
Monday, March 10, 2008
- our next daytrip will be to New Hope~that may not be this week
- Abner's been sleeping on our pillows
- Barry Bonds may go to the Mets, but probably not
- I watch arena football
- we've been experimenting with eggs
- where's my Anthem magazine?
- now she wants a Great Dane
- working on filling out catalogues
- today I brought in firewood
- Eliot Spitzer pays for it
- I love Killface & his cloven hooves
- we use garbage bags for window shades
- Fran reads Better Homes & Gardens
- I hate John & Kate + 8
- feeling car commercial soundtracks
- I'm off pork roll sandwiches