Monday, March 31, 2008

When Is Frigin' Opening Day?

Ok, seriously, when is opening day? Was it last weekend when the Sox played the A's in Japan? Was it last night when the Nationals played the Braves? Or is it today when all the other teams play? I know each team can have their own little opening day celebration, but MLB baseball's opening day should be when the first pitch is thrown in the first inning of the first game of the season which, unfortunately was last week in Japan by Daisuke Matsuzaka. (I don't really care for the debut in Japan thing. I think it's extremely indignant of MLB to assume that American baseball is important enough to draw crowds and attention away from the Japanese baseball league that just so happens to be in full swing at the same time. I guess it's in appreciation for the players we steal from the Japanese league. Seems more like rubbing salt in a wound than paying respect.)

Anyhow, on opening day #3.0 the Mets will play the Marlins. Sanatana is starting. Excited am I. 4:10 is start time. Right now I'm just watching the Cubs/Brewers game, which is a good match-up for their opening day. A lotta people got the Cubs going to the World Series and some even winning it this year. I think that whole 1908/100 year dry spell thing would make it very poetic and all, but I dunno. I ain't buying it. I used to love the Cubs, it being the favorite team of our adopted grandfather Joe, but some of their players bother me. Zambrano is great and all but kind of an ass, and I just plain don't like Ryan Theriot. He threw a little girl hissy fit in a game against the Mets last year, and it just wasn't pretty. I do however like Derek Lee, Alfonso Soriano, and really wanna see how good this Kosuke Fokudome is gonna be. So if the Mets fall out of the race, I'll root for the Cubs, in the NL Central at least. But c'mon, it's opening day. I think. I hope.

No comments: