Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Tra La La, La La La La

Storm, Part 1


I remember sometime back in my early residency in the deep south I was cognizant enough to pick up a couple tickets to the GY!BE show at the Variety Playhouse. It was their first foray into touring the US (they're very Canadian) and I had been into them since I lived in Boston. I remember one especially wintry night up North (slept with the window open still) I was excited to pop in "He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms", a recent pickup from Newbury Comics in a weird cardboard case with sparkling red printing, as I turn out the lights and went to bed only to 60 seconds into the opening track being thoroughly freaked out and almost throwing the disc out the 3rd floor window. It would be awhile before I tried it again, but it would be in the light of day for sure.

Storm, Part 2


They're on tour for the first time in almost a decade and of course, all six of the shows near me (Terminal 5, two at the Brooklyn Masonic Temple, two at the Church of St. Paul The Apostle and one at the Trocadero) are all sold out and have been for sometime. So it seems that for now I'll have to live off the memory of my night at the Variety. This was the night that I drank my first (7) PBR's and I memorized the design of the tiles on the ceiling of the theater. It was a good night. I should've bought a t-shirt.

Moya

No comments: