Friday, May 21, 2010

Still Love Those AT-ATs

It was 30 years ago today that the Empire Strikes Back came out, by far my favorite of the Star Wars collection. This may be the best sequel ever made, maybe better than the original. The tone of the movie and the combination of opposing settings, themes and scenarios makes for complexities integral to the storyline, but also done with relative expertise and subtlety. From the ice of Hoth to the swamps of Dagobah to the air of Cloud City, The Empire Strikes Back kept your eyes open.

The nature of the and the relative feel of unease and defeat that you're left with at the end of the movie is another thing that sets it apart from most others. I was too young for the "I'm you're father" thing to have much of an effect on me, but I did know that the good guys lost, and that was strange to me.

All turned out in the end, but if there's some person out there that hasn't seen Return of the Jedi, well I don't want to be the one to ruin it for you. I'd like to be more eloquent right now, but Laura just got home and the Mets are throwing the game away and I'm annoyed. Maybe after the next 30 years.

No comments: