Sunday, November 16, 2008

VH1 Ain't The Boss Of Me!

I don't watch much TV nowadays. Football game here, Letterman there, I usually flip while I have lunch on the couch and that's about it. Yesterday, while ingesting a vat of beef barley soup, I found myself smack dab in the thick of the impossible feat of ranking the top 100 songs of the 1980's on VH1. Oh VH1, you are braver than I.


I came in right around 93, which was Gary Numan's Cars. I had heard this song in the car recently and enjoyed it greatly, so I thought I'd treat myself to an encore performance. Little did I know I was in the midst of a 5 hour 80's extravaganza!

I figured I'd settle in for a few good tracks, maybe watch til 80, but when It Takes Two came on, I knew I wasn't going anywhere. Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock played a big part in Miss Punks sixth grade math class. Only thing that got me thru algebra. Gotta love that "Woo! Yeah!".



The countdown trudged on, hitting chart toppers (Katrina & The Waves Walking on Sunshine, Phil Collins In The Air Tonight) & some other personal favorites (Nenas 99 Luftballoons, Rick Springfields Jessies Girl & Salt-N-Pepas Push It)

At first I was a tad disappointed by the top two in the countdown. #2 being Def Leppards Pour Some Sugar On Me. I thought about it and realized that Def Leppard was one of the first and only hair metal bands I found myself semi-obsessed with, I remember staring deep into the cover of Hysetria, partly horrifed, partly intrigued, maybe looking for Waldo, and I did do my share of one-armed air drumming...so... I'll let it slide.



I was sure that Thriller was a shoe-in for the #1 slot so it's needless to stay I was dumbfounded when I saw Jon Bon Jovi staring back at me. Livin' On A Prayer? The best song of the 80's. Part of me was proud of a fellow statesmen. I thought Springsteen at #48 was as close as we were gonna get. Then I flashed back. I distinctly remember the day I bought my very first cassette with my very own money at Crazy Eddies on Hooper Avenue in Toms River; Slippery When Wet. I think at the time my favorite track was You Give Love A Bad Name. Oh and I did. Then I thought some more. I remember sitting in the halls of a university in 1999 wearing white spandex with my fellow Emerald Marquis members belting out the chorus, "Ooohhh, We're halfway there, Ohh Oh! Livin' on a Prayer!". I guess it was our theme song. So in a schmaltzy moment of wistfulness, I let it go and watched highlights of Bon Jovis onstage antics and style sense that I'm sure make them cringe today.



Overall I was pleased with the countdown. A good myriad of styles & artist representation. I thought The Look Of Love was a little high at #43 beating out classics like Every Breath You Take & Do You Really Want To Hurt Me and I was kinda apalled that Ratt was on there at all, nonetheless at #51. I had never heard Round And Round before, and I don't intend to ever again.

So without further adieu (you knew it was coming), I will attempt my top songs of the 80's. I'll limit it to 25 so I don't put you to sleep. But c'mon! It's 80's music!

25) Human League - Don't You Want Me Baby
24) Thompson Twins - Hold Me Now
23) Yes - Owner Of A Lonely Heart
22) Simple Minds - Don't You (Forget About Me)
21) Culture Club - Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?
20) The Styx - The Best Of Times
19) Billy Joel - Pressure
18) The Smiths - Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
17) Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart



16) Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come On Eileen
15) Talk Talk - It's My Life
14) Lindsey Buckingham - Holiday Road
13) New Order - True Faith
12) Loverboy - Working For The Weekend
11) Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time
10) Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime



9) Prince - Little Red Corvette
8) Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
7) The Police - Every Breath You Take
4) R.E.M. - It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
5) Pixies - Where Is My Mind?



4) Tears For Fears - Head Over Heels
3) The Cure - Just Like Heaven
2) Queen & David Bowie - Under Pressure
1) A-ha - Take On Me



The riff, the video, the high note! All from a here and gone outfit from Norway, this song epitomizes 80's synthrock and it is the ultimate pinnacle of the decades sound. I dare you to challenge me on that.

This will probably change tomorrow.

No comments: