Thursday, January 7, 2010

Go! Anyone Else

Okay so maybe the Giants bit it and didn't make it into the playoffs, and after starting 5-0, that's a pretty big blow to a team that not too long ago was feared by most of the NFL. Now that is a memory.

So what do I have here? At this point I could really care less who wins. I could go home with a home team and root for the Jets, which I may enjoy doing. I liked watching them rail the Bengals or whoever they played last weekend. That could be nice. And nothing beats a story of the west coast boy coming to the big city and his rookie year taking his team all the way. Plus I know it would burn Favre & Mangini, two guys who thought they had it in the bag last year and couldn't even make the playoffs. So far I like that scenario.

I'd really like to see the Patriots and Vikings get eliminated this weekend tho. Brett Favre makes me ill and his actions need not be encouraged by any hopes of a championship. He'll just keep coming back, and nobody wants to see that. And I think myself and everyone in this country have had enough Tom Brady to last them a lifetime last decade, we don't need to be starting off this one with more pretty boy heroics. Cardinals too. They were there last year and I'm all about equal opportunity.

So how about the Colts. If this was a couple weeks ago and they were still undefeated I would be pulling for them hard, because it'd be cool to see a team achieve that whole "perfect season" thing and I think a team like the Colts is a good team to do it. A humble yet phenomenal quarterback and the rest of the team really follows his lead. When have you heard anything about anybody on that team this season. Quiet killers. But also it would be nice to finally shut up the '72 Dolphins, as if anyone cared anymore, I wasn't even born, and I know it would just kill Bill Belichick to see someone achieve what he was so close to just a couple years back, even tho he pretended not to notice. I see you Bill. Back to my point... Now that the Colts have lost that chance I don't know that I'm interested in seeing them win. Yeah I just decided I'm not.

The Saints same thing kinda. I liked them when they were playing well. How fickle am I? But it ain't my team I don't have to be loyal. I would like to see an NFC team win tho, and if it's gotta be them, I'm okay with it. Give Shockey the Super Bowl he just missed out on with the Giants. That's be nice for him. Maybe he can play without that chip on his shoulder then. Probably won't happen.

In the Giants division we got two teams who we can automatically eliminate, simply because they beat out the Giants to get into the playoffs. I cannot stand the Cowboys and the last thing I would ever want to see is that idiot half dead owner of theirs cheering his team on in the Super Bowl. Or maybe he gets so excited he falls out of that VIP box he sits in and tumbles into the stands where the drunken fans tear him to pieces and BBQ him in the parking lot. Is that morbid?

And the Eagles, I guess I could stand to see them win. I don't hate them quite as much and I think I have a little sympathy for McNabb & Reid. I could see it being their turn, finally. I just don't know if I can take more Philadelphia bandwagons. Their all full people. Move along.

Who else is there? The Bengals? They've had a season to commiserate with. The death of the coaches wife and the death of starting wide receiver, a season no one expected them to be a factor yet here they are. And who doesn't like the smack talk of Ochocinco. He makes the games worth watching. But they play the Jets this weekend and I'd rather see them advance, so... no tearjerkers this year.

How about the Packers? The only reason I can think of pulling for them is how that would probably drive Favre immediately into retirement for good. That'd kill him. Ha! I don't think they have it in them but what do I know?

And the Ravens. Eh, I don't care. I wouldn't be upset, but I'm hard pressed to think of a scenario where I'd actually be rooting for them. But word on the street is that they play dirty and who doesn't like to see a little bit of that in the postseason.

San Diego tho, I could get behind a team like that. As much as I don't care for anger-management-bound Philip Rivers, they're a team that seems on the right trajectory to get the job done, convincingly winning their last 11 games... honestly it's gonna be a surprise if they don't win.

So my horrible prediction is:

AFC Championship Game - San Diego Chargers vs. New York Jets

NFC Championship Game - New Orleans Saints vs. Philadelphia Eagles

Super Bowl - New York Jets vs. New Orleans Saints

Jets win 24-21

How ya like that? I don't even know that those games are possible with all this seeding nonsense but that just shows you how uneducated I am on the whole thing. I think everyone should play each other at the same time. One ball, twelve teams. Last one standing kind of thing. Whatcha think?

No comments: