Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Sorry The Office

I would like to make a public apology.

Dear The Office,

Please...have a seat.

I would like to take a moment to apologize, to you and to your cast of characters. When I first heard that they would be remaking you into a sitcom here in the states, you were met by nothing but negativity on my part and even a little bit of anger that such a fine program would be butchered by American writers. I did manage to avoid you, tho you aired on a channel that I admittedly watch quite a few programs on and I also have to admit, I was slightly interested to see just how badly the original was being pulverized. But about a month ago, while flipping between some NBA & MLB I found myself staring into the blank, witless stare of Dwight K. Shrute, and have to say, I was intrigued. I flipped back and forth for a few commercial breaks until finally, I had forgotten all about the games I was watching because I was just waiting to see what hijinks the Scranton branch were going to get themselves into next. Since that fateful Tuesday evening I am proud to say that I haven't missed a single episode and plan to, in the very near future, purchase all the past episodes I had missed, even tho I know the general storyline, this American rendition has proved itself worthy of reliving the whole saga, all over again. One can only hope that this slightly bastardized version of The Office outlives it's original BBC mentor.

Apology presented. That said, I highly doubt U.S. Office will ever outdo it's predecessor, along with Arrested Development one of the finest sitcoms EVER. As happy as I am that they didn't slaughter the original, it still cannot meet the bone-dry, seat-squirming humor of Ricky Gervais. When asked how the U.S. Office would compare to the British, Gervais responded with, "they'll have better teeth". And that's about it.

No comments: