Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Coast Seems Clear

I'm guessing it's safe. We've been more than a little paranoid about this deal since we've experienced more than a few months of frustration & disappointment, so we haven't talked about it much, other than occasional non-sensical rants to parents who just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but over the last few weeks our excitement has overcome our trepidation and we've let it slip to pretty much everyone and anyone unfortunate enough to strike up a conversation with us.

To be more direct... we found a house. A little over a month ago. We wasted no time and skipped formalities going right for the jugular and filled out a contract. The deal seemed too sweet and time was running out. We didn't want to go another summer homeless. Skip ahead a few weeks, offers accepted, mortgages approved, and then the wait.

But the long wait has now turned into three days. And me being the "pessimistic" one (I call it realistic) held off on any packing or other actions one would take whilst preparing for a move to satiate my own belief in jinxing & voodoo. I just didn't wanna have to think about it. So now, forced to realize that this actually is going to happen, I'm faced with the chore of packing up our lives, once again, in a few quick days and charged with the impossible task of having our scattered belongings all fall into one place at the perfect time. Not uncommon for many, but it's my blog & I can whine if I want to.

So that is it. We are on the verge of becoming homeowners. That is the reasoning behind that little countdown on the bottom of every post since May 1st. Mysterious? To Some. Childish? Sure. But that is how I describe myself on match.com so....

We're almost there. Like I said, three days. We head up to the Poconos Friday morning for "the final walkthrough" (where I'm guessing they will be playing Europe over a speaker system) and the ritual signing of ones name 72,475,902 times (I will try to get an official count on that). But today I feel good about it. No more disappearing loan officers or phantom paperwork or rogue real estate agents. Just three days of cardboard boxes and tape. What could go wrong?

Wish us luck, but don't expect an invite anytime soon. This place is gonna be a mess for quite some time. And if you know anyone with a giant truck or who happens to own a gas station, let us know.

No comments: