Sunday, May 4, 2008

Play Ball (kinda)

Rode bikes out to Johnson Park yesterday to enjoy the cool weather. When I was a youngen Johnson Park on a Saturday was a flurry of youth activity. Soccer, baseball, tennis, basketball, I have a lot of good memories of playing there. I was a little hesistant to ride by because I thought it'd be a crowded house. Needless to say, I was quite surprised when I came round the corner and saw only 4 cars in the parking lot, and they were there for the dog park. Ten sports fields left empty, soccer goals with ragged torn nets, baseball fields with no plates, and basketball courts, well... with no baskets. Initially sad, but at least no one had to see my insane wife try and play her version of ball & stick.

Let's break this down...

DSCN9523
Good form, eyes on the ball (it's all downhill from here).

DSCN9524
Note the determination on her face, and she's got a little Jose Reyes stomp going on with the follow thru.

DSCN9527
From there, all bets are off and this could just as easily be mistaken for some sort of tribal ritual dance.

DSCN9532
An unfortunate and mangled form celebration occurs...

DSCN9533
...the intensity of which takes her to the brink of collapse...

DSCN9540
...and finally she succumbs to an overwhelming sense of lunacy.

I, on the other hand (who have not picked up a bat and ball since I was popped in my one semi-pro appearance and continued on to miss each base after which I did score one run at least, grabbed my bag and left), sent a couple into the outfield and gave her a good runaround. I think I'm ready for a soft pitch league.

DSCN9560

I did manage to hit Fran a few times, once in the leg and again in the foot point blank. But look at her, she deserved it!

No comments: