Monday, January 7, 2013

She's Out Of His Mind

Attempting to nip in the bud one of last year's pet peeves, Laura and I settled down and took in a good film last night, husband/wife style. That is to say, we went back and forth, making sure the other was awake for two hours while simultaneously using each other as a cushion and a blanket.


Laura wanted something light-hearted, and while, initially I was just looking for something to steer the conversation from the monkey bread I was about to devour, I found this little nugget called Ruby Sparks in the queue.Quick synopsis: Struggling writer can't find the motivation to follow up his critically acclaimed first novel he wrote over ten years ago, survives on public appearances and uncomfortably over-sexualized confrontations with his brother and shrink. Decides to write about a girl he's been encountering in his dreams, only to one morning wake up and find her cooking him eggs in his kitchen. Seems he's character has come to life, and hilarity ensues. No seriously, I laughed a lot at this movie. I love Paul Dano. Every movie I've seen him in, he is tops. And I really liked this Zoe Kazan lady, even more now that I found out she actually wrote the whole darned thing. Sweet, romantic, but not syrupy, and just the right amount of tension with a great ending. Not your typical lovey-dovey rom/com, but not your average quirky indie flick either. Very nice. We should do this more often.

No comments: