Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Good Are Dying


It's been a rough couple weeks for my favorite bands. First, Emma Ditchburn leaves the Most Serene Republic, which is a crushing blow and leaves me a little unsure that they'll be able to remain on my all time high list of bands who can pretty much do no wrong. Even after my initial balk at their latest album, it's been slipping into my "random" playlists more and more recently and I'm positive it's mainly because of what she brings to the septet. I hope they can either replace her with someone even more a perfect fit or maybe really up the ante going into their next recordings. I'm keeping optimistic.

And today I find out that another one of my favorite bands, Bound Stems, has officially broken up. Bound Stems, for those of you who may not know, were the best band to come out of Chicago since the Smashing Pumpkins back in the early 90's, imho, so you can imagine what a blow to my already fragile aural psyche this news was. I have managed to pull it together and can only hope that the brains behind the outfit will carry the torch on to brighter & greener & better.

Oh music.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you didn't get the whole story. 4 of the 5 Stems (drummer E. Sult has departed) have formed "Like Pioneers", have an album just about done, have a show at the Hideout in May, and have 3 of their new songs posted on their Facebook page. So do not despair: a Stem by any other name is still a Stem.

Unknown said...

Also, that E Sult is now in St. Louis playing in a 2 piece called Sleepy Kitty. That's me. We'll be playing in Chicago this summer, and around the Midwest/Southeast this fall. We're working on a new release as this gets written.

Thanks for the kind words about Bound Stems. I found your site because you'd posted about us, and I've been coming by pretty regularly since then. Our tastes appear to have a lot of overlap--though I can't keep up with your pace. We just got back from Chicago today, and even though the clouds were low and dark, there was something about the texture of the air that just seemed so essentially Chicago... it was pretty hard to leave.

Cheers,
Evan
myspace.com/sleepykittymusic