Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Something We Haven't Said

I'm just now realizing that, though there's been plenty of allusion & innuendo, not once have we come out and said anything, deliberately or cut & dry. It's only recently that we even starting notifying the public as to anything out of the ordinary, we didn't want to keep it private obviously but, we also saw no need in flying a banner over the interweb. Anyhow...

Laura's pregnant.

We found out December 28th. The test was positive. We took two more tests on the 30th to confirm. They, too, were positive.

(3) double plus signs

It's a hard thing to put your finger on. If you asked me five years ago if I'd be married living in the Poconos and expected a baby I'd of laughed in your face. But I guess that's what's so strange about it all is that even tho we never thought to be here, and here now, it feels completely natural, as if there was some design to it all. I'm no disciple of fate, but there must be a reason that this whole ordeal hasn't alarmed us as much as it's given us a sense of tranquility and equanimity.

IMG_2702

We hadn't really been trying. Of course we've had "the talk" and knew a time would come. I guess a power greater than us decided that time was now. And we agree. Not too much terribly has gone down in form of baby preparation. She's just now out of her first trimester and we've only been to the doctor twice. Once to verify and again this past week to verify the verification.

IMG_1565

Diets have changed. Practices have altered. Now while walking thru walmart we slow way down at the baby section we used to fly past without giving it a second thought. Conversations about what color to paint the room, be it a boy or a girl, whether or not that matters, practicing our levels of tolerance, and thinking of what friends and family to hit up for hand me downs. These are all things I think most expectants do.

IMG_1304

We've got a book that lays out the development of the baby that Laura got from her midwife. It sits on my nightstand and I read it every couple of days, just to see what's going on in there. Laura doesn't read it as much as I read it to her, probably because she can feel what's going on in there. She's taken on the favorite quote of every woman in her condition. "I'm feeling pregnant right now". And she's only 15 weeks.

IMG_2395

Laura's even found an application on her phone that tracks the pregnancy and tells you of all the things going on day to day and even shows you a lifesize photo of the baby so you can see it grow from a peanut. I wondered what happens when the baby grows bigger than the phone. I'm asking the tough questions.

IMG_2627

Just recently we've moved onto two breakfasts. She had two today. I wondered why she got up so early with me when I knew she didn't have to work til 1. And the other day, when the two of us didn't have to get up early at all, she woke before me and actually, for once in her life, wanted to get up and go downstairs. But before I could slide into my slippers she was halfway thru her first bowl of cereal. "Baby's hungry", she says with a cinnamon grin.

IMG_1169

So now that the baby is out of the bag, we can move on with ourselves, knowing we're all on the same page and no one is left out in the dark. Except the baby. It's dark in there I bet.

No comments: