Wednesday, February 24, 2010

He Can Hunt Coypu

Westminster was on last week. I think the Scottish terrier won or something. I managed to catch the hound group, my favorite, and the best in show ceremony. After seeing this thing thru for a number of years and falling in love with a different dog every time, I think I've really found one that I like and Laura likes it too. It's called an Otterhound, and altho the hunting of otters has since 1978 become illegal, there he is. I read that in order to own an otterhound you need to have a sense of humor [check], a fair amount of patience [check], and aren't obsessed with keeping your house & clothes clean [check]. So maybe this spring we'll be looking for a little puppy. Maybe next. It depends on a bunch of things, obviously finding one, and then whether or not we can afford to have two babies in the house. Plus I read that it can be kind of hard to adopt one. There's only about 1,000 in the world and less than 400 in the United States. There are between 4 & 7 litters born every year in American & Canada and there's a somewhat rigorous assessment and even then you can wait several months before an otterhound is available. Sooooooooooo, maybe a black lab?

No comments: