Saturday, July 11, 2009

Church Is Out

And Jeff Francoeur is in!

I may be completely ill-informed on the stats and whatnot but I think this is a marvelous trade! I've spent years hating this guy and it can only be because he's a big-time hitter and has a wicked arm in the outfield, but always against the Mets. And with the Mets' list of good players not hurt getting shorter every week, something needed to be done.

Both Church & Francoeur are having what could be called an off-season, but trades like this can really rejuvenate a player, and Francoeur being only 25, I feel that he's just waiting for that big city to motivate him into superstardom. I don't think that's an overstatement.

I liked Ryan Church, I did. When he wasn't knocking himself out he played well. But he's thirty and all the talk of him not liking NY at the end of last season and how he doesn't get along with Manuel this season... it was inevitable. I bet he does quite well playing everyday in Atlanta. And we'll see him quite a bit and I'm preparing myself now for him to hit the Mets well. I know that'll make Laura happy, she loved him. She's concerned as to whether this Jeff Francoeur character is the looker Church was. Weird girl.

And again, being the uneducated, or maybe just willingly ignorant to the stats, I am excited about this trade. When I heard there was cash involved I was surprised to hear it was in addition to Francoeur. He's 5 years younger than Church and back in 2006, which may seem like a long time ago, had a year that Church can barely hold a candle to.

We will see what happens.

No comments: