Thursday, April 23, 2009

Memorial Or Graffiti?

Dwight Gooden attended a game at Citi Field last week and was urged by an employee within the Ebbets Club to sign a large grey blank wall. He did. What a great idea, to start a makeshift memorial that could be added to as Mets players of old can come back to visit the park and make their way up to the Ebbets Club to add their signature to the soon to be infamous wall. What a way to honor your teams history.

Apparently not.
"It's a brand new building, whether it's Doc or any other player, it wasn't meant to write all over the walls. We are going to do things to celebrate our history, but this wasn't the right way to get that started. If we allow this precedent, people will be writing all over the stadium. It's going to be erased." - Jay Horwitz (Mets VP of Media Relations)
Riiiiiiiight. Gosh, if we let Doc Gooden write on the walls then it will just be mayhem won't it. Everyone will come into Citi Field just high on sharpie fumes ready to do some real damage. In fact, we better not let Mookie Wilson on the field anymore because, well then everyone will just wanna get out there won't they. It'll be Armageddon. Also, please wipe your feet before entering CitiField. And for God's sake, haven't you ever heard of a coaster?
"One of the guys that worked there asked me to sign one of the walls, so I did it. It wasn't like I was walking around with a sharpie in my pocket. They asked me to sign the wall as a favor, as something for the fans to see. I was in there watching batting practice and they had fans taking pictures with me by my signature and I thought it was a fun idea." - Doc Gooden
After much hoopla and backlash from the fans that hit a high on sports radio, Horwitz caved and announced that the wall will still be removed, but placed behind plexiglass and relocated within the stadium where at least all fans can see it. Way to fold. You're a real Met now.

But the damage has been done.
"...when things like this happen, it makes me feel like maybe the Mets don't want me around. Maybe I shouldn't be, I don't know." - Gooden
Nice.

Oh and PS, Mets just got swept by the Cardinals in the most embarrassing series that I've seen since I started watching them again back in 2007. I probably won't feel the need to tune in much for this next homestand, even if it is against the Nationals. What's the point?

No comments: