Thursday, February 5, 2009

Codex Seraphinianus

Okay, let me preface this by saying that I am in a strange mood today. I've spent the morning listening to a mixture of electronic minimalism & some blissful drone, and I haven't eaten and it's well past noon. So when I came across this file called Codex Seraphinianus, I figured I'll see what it's all about. I don't even remember where I got it from but it's been burning a hole in my "Miscellaneous" file for months

It's a book, of sorts, written by this Italian architect guy Luigi Serafini. It's actually a lot of nonsense. But the cool thing about it is it's ALOT of nonsense. This Luigi fella wrote 360 pages of detailed information in what, I guess, is an encyclopedia of some foreign world that he just went ahead and made up. He made up new species, he made up new sciences, he made up a new written language, he made up an entire history for crying out loud. It's a lot to take in and at first looks like jibberish. But I looked online, you can't get a copy of this thing for less than $550, and there's no sign of it on major online bookseller sites. I'm flipping thru it now, can't read it per se, but it is intriguing. Just trying to make sense out of some of the images or trying to tie some extremely random things together. I don't know that you can really get anything out of this book either, other than thinking somehow it's very cool to know that 30 years ago some weird dude sat down and decided to document an entire surreal universe and took the time to do so with care and thought and imagination to say the very least.

a few Codex images:



If you're interested, I have a digital copy here for your viewing pleasure, and I'll only charge $525.

I'm gonna eat some Grape Nuts now.

No comments: