Saturday, July 19, 2008

Dark Knight = I Like

I don't wanna get ahead of myself here but we saw this yesterday and it was brilliant. I loved the first edition of this new series of Batman films and didn't think the followup would be able to continue the standard it set but The Dark Knight far surpassed the original; better actors, better writing, better action scenes, better everything. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is gonna be the best movie of the summer. Practically the only one I saw but...still. I was laughing at how amazing some of the scenes were. Clever dialogue without seeming forced, hilarious moments without seeming silly, and it kept me surprised even on familiar plot twists I knew were coming.

Christian Bale plays a more convincing alter ego, not so over the top. Maggie Gyllenhall is obviously ten times better than that Katie Holmes thing. Gary Oldman is brilliant and understated. And yes, Heath Ledgers Joker is far superior to Jack Nicholsons. I know, blasphemy. But see it for yourself. He is ridiculous. The character is so intriguing in every scene, it's almost a beautiful thing to watch. The movie is long. One of those you-think-it's-over-but-it's-just-getting-started-you-got-another-hour-to-go type things. But I didn't mind. I would've watched another 2 hours of that.

No comments: