Monday, May 11, 2009

Cobblestone Kills The Feet

(070) Central Station

I got to Central Station.

Now I really knew where I was. I knew I wanted to go to Gamla Stan. They call it "Old Town" here. It's a small island between The City (where Central Station is) & Södermalm that exhibits original 13th century Stockholm, history unfettered and untouched for hundreds of years. Except that the medieval dungeons where they used to torture and maim are now restaurants and cafés where you can enjoy a nice espresso & herring sandwich and the vikings aren't real. But the cobblestone streets are legit.

(098) Storkyrkan
(085) viking attack
(089) Gamla Stan

Gamla Stan is also the home Kungliga Slottet, Sweden's Royal Palace. I, again, witnessed the changing of the guards and tried to get a few broad shots but there was some road construction out front. Don't want the Queen tripping on some loose cobblestone I guess.

(086) Kungliga Slottet
(101) armed Swedish guards
(105) Kungliga Slottet

One of the neatest parts of Gamla Stan is all the narrow backroads and their colorful houses, fancy doors & windows. Prästgatan is one of those roads and I walked the whole damn thing. Proof.

(077) Prästgatan
(116) me on Prästgatan
(115) Prästgatan
(081) Prästgatan
(110) I like this door
(114) Prästgatan

A few more random shots from Gamla Stan

(075) protest

Stortorget
(108) Stortorget

Yngling Bestiger Häst
(130) Yngling Bestiger Häst

Penalty for staring too long at Sweden's sites: instant bronzification
(139) what's this guy looking at

I ended up on the southeast corner of Gamla Stan and saw a ferry boat about to pull out. I hopped on board, not knowing exactly where I would end up, but figured I'd get some good shots of the skyline on the way there. I did.

(141) grey skies
(148) Gamla Stan
(151) Södermalm

Tivoli Grona Land
(158) Tivoli Grona Lund

Kastellholmen
(160) Kastellholmen

Then the ferry docked. Come back later to find out if I ended up in another country, if the ferry was actually run by modern day pirates, or if I just went in a big circle and wasted my precious few moments in Stockholm.

No comments: