Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Djurgården/My Garden

(170) direction

Where'd I leave off? I think I was on the ferry. Yeah. That was fun. Took the ferry from Gamla Stan to Djurgården, an island that holds most of Sweden's larger museums and only amusement park, Gröna Lund.

(163) Tivoli Grona Lund

I had come to Djurgården to see a few things in particular. Skansen, Vasamuseet & if time allowed Nordiska Museet. On my way to Vasamuseet I found myself walking past woodland cemetery, Sandsborgskyrkogården, so in spite of seeming morbid, I checked it out.

(181) Sandsborgskyrkogården
(183) Sandsborgskyrkogården
(190) Sandsborgskyrkogården
(191) Sandsborgskyrkogården
(198) Sandsborgskyrkogården

Did you know that I am an avid fan of bocce? Neither did I. But it seems to haunt me wherever I go. And Sweden would be no exception. These women were serious. I think there may have been money on the line, or some form of geriatric pharmaceutical.

(176) bocce in Sweden

Finally I came to Vasamuseet, the museum that holds the salvaged remains of Sweden's warship Vasa. Vasa, was the pride of the navy but is now more commonly referred to as "Sweden's Titanic", as it capsized on it's maiden voyage only 1,422 yards from port back in 1628. Even the Titanic made it halfway.

Nonetheless, this museum was an unexpected highlight of the trip and a highly recommended stop for any future visitors to Stockholm. Mark it down.

Some of these photos are dark and/or a little blurry, because well, it was dark in there, and the I didn't like the flash photos so.... you will see these and like it.

(214) Vasamuseet
(228) Vasamuseet
(241) Vasamuseet
(248) Vasamuseet
(256) Vasamuseet
(271) Vasamuseet
(273) Vasamuseet
(274) Vasamuseet
(261) Vasamuseet

This here is the Nordiska Museet, a museum that portrays everyday life in Sweden from the 1520's to present day. I didn't get to go in. Seemed too daunting a task for the amount of time I had. Next time then.

(281) Nordiska Museet

Next on the list was Skansen, and tho I was warned that it could be too much to try and squeeze into a short day I was feeling ambitious and, at the time, up to the challenge.

(288) Skansen

You see, Skansen is a 75 acre open-air museum that exhibits life in Sweden prior to the industrial era. Complete with a full scale replica of a 19th century town and it's inhabitants going about their 19th century life, you have silversmiths, bakers, glass-blowers, shoemakers, farmers all out doing their thing right in front of you and I'll be damned if that baker wasn't baking the most delicious apple pies ever. I almost passed out. Those shoes didn't look to comfy tho.

(299) Skansen
(302) I smelled apple pie here
(316) Seglora Church in Skansen
(317) Kyrkhult Farmhouse in Skansen
(350) Finn Settlement in Skansen
(365) Eksh�radg�rden
(416) Skansen
(419) Samivistet
(432) Flax Mill
(437) Skansen

Skansen has a zoo that holds all sorts of Scandinavian animals like elk, bison, brown bear, wolverine & reindeer so naturally I checked that out as well.

(338) bison & wild boar
(340) eagle owl
(382) brown bear
(348) squirrel
(396) peacock
(399) seal
(403) elk
(412) reindeer
(418) reindeer

The view of Stockholm from Skansen
(429) Stockholm from Skansen

By the time I navigated thru all of Skansen with lightning quick speed and precision I was pretty much tuckered out and starving.

(457) me in Skansen

And since I didn't have much time before my train back to Strängnäs I headed across the river into Östermalm...

(461) �stermalm

...only stopping briefly to rehydrate & rest my weary feet in Berzelii Park.

(464) Berzelii Park
(469) resting in Berzelii Park

When I finally arrived at Central Station I queued for my ticket and, like an oasis in the desert, saw the golden arches of deliciousness rise from behind a crowd of travelers. At first I thought it a terrible shame to eat McDonalds while in a foreign country, but my mind couldn't convince my feet which were already next in line. So I ordered a McFeast, Oh! and in Sweden only one size fry. Small.

(480) McFeast

So off to Strängnäs I went, McFeast in hand.

No comments: