Sunday, September 28, 2008

I'm In With Deer

Had lunch with Fran on a break yesterday. Headed back to the school past a big vacant soccer field. Light rain fell. Four young deer fed on the grass. I sensed a photo opportunity. I headed out towards the back of the fields. The deer were busy. I got closer and they snapped their heads. I squatted and tried a few shots. Blurry and wet. I too was wet. I turned to head for the car and spotted a fifth deer. Between me and my vehicle. I was between him and the other deer. We were close. Maybe 20 feet. He moved toward me. He was big. Just a few steps. So I took a step toward him. He didn't flinch. Another slow step, each. And another. I was a little nervous. But he stood straight and took another step. We went back and forth, trading strides til we were about five feet away. Then he grew tired of me and continued to gnaw on grass. I readied my camera.

This is an undoctored, un-zoomed photo of my deer experience.

No comments: