Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Santa Gets Some Soul

Back to work on padding the Christmas playlist, what with only two short weeks til the big day I have to get serious. This is Soul Christmas. It is a must have for anyone who has even the slightest interest in hearing good Christmas music. I'm thinking this is the record Santa himself listens to on occasion to prepare for a long night or just to kick back and check the naughty/nice list. It's the soundtrack that plays at the afterparty in the Northpole on December 26th when the eggnog flows heavy and every elf has his eye on that special elflette.

That's right. While this album has a classic feel to it. it also has a certain sense of sensuality that is lacking in most holiday tunes. 'Baby It's Cold Outside' is the nastiest we've ever gotten but Soul Christmas has 'I'll Make Everyday Christmas (For My Woman)' by Joe Tex, Carla Thomas's original 'All I Want For Christmas Is You' and the quintessential Clarence carter cut, 'Back Door Santa'. And there's no fluff found on here. Two great tracks by King Curtis, Otis Redding's 'Merry Christmas Baby', Solomon Burke sings 'Presents For Christmas' and Ray Charles even gets in on the act with 'Christmas Time'. And count them, three Booker T & The MG's takes on holiday cheer.

All in all this is a fantastic Christmas album that I hope to be in heavy rotation for years to come. I may even seek this puppy out on actual vinyl. Yeah, it's that good. I give it an A+. Right up there with Mantovani, Sinatra and Nat King Cole.

No comments: