Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Accidental Christmas Awesomeness

We had to drive down to Baltimore on Saturday to pick up a Christmas gift for Yuula that we won on ebay. It was a bargain, trust me. But in order to make it seem like not such a chore we could break it up and stop in Lancaster for a little old world breakfast buffet and check out the National Christmas Center. How bad could it be...


Turns out, it's frigin awesome! We really didn't expect much. Just a chance to stretch our legs and move along. Too bad we had to get going because I could've walked the whole thing again. Grandma and Grandpa joined us for breakfast and the winter wonderland. 


Nice and comfy rocking chairs is a good way to start the tour off


Mom & Dad seemed to get a kick out of the 50' style Christmas. They're old.


"Christmas Around The World" was both informative and imaginative. And slightly scary. I think Yuula was the only one to see that dude lurking in the holly.


There was a legit Woolworth's set up with all the classic toys at classic prices. Some were creepy. Most were amazing. I think I Mom shed a single tear. 


 I think Dad shed two.


They had an impressive collection of true antiques. They could make a killing if they ever put this stuff up for sale. I know I'd try and buy a couple. If I could afford it.


I wonder if it'd be safe to still use these cookie cutters.


Here's a photo of Yuula on Santa's lap. This is as good as it's gonna get folks. She freaked out immediately after this was taken. But it was cool because she really had some fun in the rest of Santa's workshop. It was exactly how I pictured it should be all these years. I remember walking in and saying "Yup, this looks about right".


One of my personal favorites was Tudor Towne, a walk-through animated storybook village that tells the story of Santa's first visit. The whole place is lined with cobblestone and animal families celebrating the holiday in extreme detail. It truly is one of the most impressive things I've ever seen. I may have stayed there a little longer than the average visitor. 


I may have taken more than my fair share of photos in Tudor Towne.


Since we were in Lancaster it seemed only fitting to have a section solely for their Christmas traditions, which surprise surprise, does include Belschnickel. I thought Dwight made it up.


I think the trains were Yuula's (and my Dad's) favorite part. It was the most impressive setup I'd ever seen, and I think the only setup Yuula has ever seen so... 


Looks like we need to get some trains under our tree soon.


I want this.


Towards the end they have different versions of manger scenes depicted by each country followed by a big ol' diorama of the city of Bethlehem. That was pretty impressive. And the viewing pews was a nice touch, even if they only provided a jungle gym for Yuula. 

Pretty awesome place. We may have created a new tradition.

No comments: