Monday, June 4, 2012

The Gift Of Giving In

C360_2012-06-05-06-22-58

Today I got my Father's Day gift a little ahead of schedule. It was a cookbook. A cookbook specific to outdoor cooking. Outdoor cooking over an open fire. An open fire out in the middle of the woods. In the middle of the woods where we will be camping. Camping in a location of my choice over Father's Day weekend. A weekend I now need to plan out, hence the early giving of said gift.

But I guess the real gift here isn't a tent or hiking boots or even the book itself, but merely the yielding of a wife. A few years back we had splurged on all the necessities for an Appalachian hike when she suddenly got cold feet. Something to do with mosquitoes and upcoming wedding attire, I dunno. And then we had the baby and they didn't make hiking boots in her size. Once again, delayed. But now, Laura has conceded, Yuula has no say, so it's on. And it's made deciding Laura's birthday gift the week before an even easier decision. Mosquito repellent.

No comments: