Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Swiss Family Embarrassment

Yup. That's Laura brushing her teeth in the front yard down there. "It's like camping!" you'd hear her say. This whole outage thing has been humbling. I like to think one day I could live in the trees like the Robinsons, but I just need a little more prep time really. It can't just be sprung on one like so. I need to slowly transition into tree life, on my own terms ya see...

It has been a little rough tho. The dirty dishes are piling up. I'll use our last clean bowl for Special K in the morning. We are running out of clean water for the toilets. We need to do laundry and neither of us have bathed since Friday. Casualties in the freezer at currently at a minimum, but I see that number going up if we can't get some power soon.

Monday was rough, me home alone with Yuula, sure the power would surge the house at any moment. Instead we played with her toys and thanked goodness for battery power. We were entertained by a car horn and a dog bark in the distance and were serenaded by what must have been 300 crickets in symphony as the sun dropped and left us in darkness. No concept of time or light beside candle flicker, the day lasted a week and neither of us had ever been so happy to see Laura come thru the door.

Power's supposed to return sometime this weekend. Too bad we'll be Canada-ing.


No comments: