Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Semis Automatic

It took me a whole day to regroup, those finals can be emotionally draining and physically exhausting, and I didn't even do anything. But here goes...

I flew in Friday morning, one of those grueling 6am flights, connection in Atlanta then to Indianapolis around 11, all to sit and wait to be picked up. This is generally to be expected.

IMG_8775

Then I arrived at the rehearsal site and to the staff quarters that looked as if a tornado has just recently passed thru and no one bothered to sound the alarm. This, too, is to be expected.

IMG_8779

Rehearsal went quick. I ran into some old friends, the Gasson's from London, there to see their Matt & Emma in the guard. They reminded me of how I was still reigning Spoons champion across the pond and informed me that they had a new challenge for me, were I up to it. Have to wait for the next visit to see.

Then it was off to semifinals. Indianapolis has changed quite a bit thru the years. Now there's the new stadium and the park we warmed up in was impeccable and fairly cozy. I took just a couple shots.

IMG_8816
IMG_8797
IMG_8819

Finals weekend always attracts old Cadets. I guess I would go too, if I weren't already somewhat obligated.

IMG_8808

No one else seem to be aware that our bus mascot looked a lot like the Muppets character Sam the Eagle puking a patriotic rainbow. I noticed.

IMG_8821

Then off to Lucas Oil.

IMG_8850

Moments before stepping out onto the field, nerves set in.

IMG_8841

I was wide open! If only someone had a ball.

IMG_8843

Within moments of the last note we found ourselves in one of the local dives. This one in particular was called the Ugly Monkey and highlighted a very small selection of brews, blue Christmas lights and a swingset that we were warned not to utilize. Think that stopped us?

IMG_8870
IMG_8865

At this point I was awake for 23 hours.

IMG_8872

Ok that was semis. Finals is next, but I had to wait so you do too.

No comments: