Sunday, June 28, 2009

MaMaSe MaMaSa MaMaCooSa

As much as I'd like to resist jumping on the posthumous memorial bandwagon, I can't deny that Michael Jackson, and Thriller especially was a huge part of my childhood and most definitely helped shape my palate in some way, at least musically. I never sported a red leather jacket or left the house wearing one shiny glove or anything.

After seeing all the old footage on the television the past few days I am having strong recollections of frequently in my formative years watching the making of Thriller, on VHS of course, all the behind the scenes looks at the make-up, the candid shots & the clips from Werewolf of London (I can't watch that movie without thinking of Jacko.) And of course there's the glowing tiles of Billy Jean, the knife fight/dance of Beat It, the lean of Smooth Criminal. Every track was a frigin adventure, and not to sound beyond my years but, they don't make 'em like that anymore.

I remember hearing about new Michael Jackson albums coming out, while I was in high school of course, but didn't want to look like a nutjob buying them at the record store (yeah remember those). Now that I'm in my 30's and could care less, I'll admit to having every album, pre-Quincy Jones era & yes even HIStory, and I have never skipped an MJ track in random play.

I will however admit to my total indifference when it came to the MJ of the late 90's and the current decade. Hideous surgical procedures, hair catching on fire, dangling children over balconies, awkward marriages, molestation charges; I completely checked out. And it is a shame, in the wake of all the stories coming out now of drug abuse and his general naiveté, but I guess that's what made him him.

So, anyhow, here it is. My little acknowledgement of the passing of a legend.

Call it what you will. I am not sad or sobbing as I type this, but it does feel like there's some kind of hole in the universe. That may be a gross overstatement but you know what I mean. Not like I was awaiting a comeback or anything, c'mon now. But I do have to see if my parents still have that Thriller album on vinyl.

Little side note: Laura once clogged (that's right I said clogged) to Thriller outfitted in full zombie regalia. I'm looking to acquire a video as we speak. It's only a matter of time dear.

No comments: