Monday, June 15, 2009

Day Of Birth, Bears & Helicopters

So at this point I'm kinda jealous. Laura's birthday was today and so far it's involved live bears, helicopters, the Amish, clowns & jelly cupboards. Ya know what I did on my birthday?? Taught. Right. Not fair.

Anyhow...

We slept in, no surprise here, and had some cheese danish & apple cider donuts my parents brought up for breakfast. I was expecting a McDonalds demand but, we were too late and lazy. We all got on the road around 11:00 and headed for 611, the highway that holds an antique peddlers village we thought might have a much need hutch for our budding dining room. But on the way, just minutes from home we encountered a bear. Not a fake wooden bear cutout like the previous homeowners left in our backyard, but a real live snarling growling fuzzy bear. Unfortunately I was not quick enough with the camera and he escaped into the wood but I managed to recreate the moment in photoshop. It looked somewhat like this....

IMG_6549 bear

Unharmed we arrived at our destination and Laura immediately found something that linked her back to the day she was born when her parents named her after Laura Ingalls Wilder, no relation to Joan Wilder, regretfully.

IMG_6552

I found something I liked. Clown face balloon toss.

IMG_6560

And we did find the hutch we want, so we took some measurements and kept our fingers crossed. We think it's a winner. Hopefully no one else has spotted it.

IMG_6561

Then we went off to get some ice cream, an Estler tradition*, so she kind of inherited it, willingly I might add. We hit the Eats & Sweets, a place I frequented as a youngen on camping trips to Scotrun. Oh and PS Eats & Sweets has a helicopter.

IMG_6568
IMG_6564

Laura had the chocolate peanut butter cup, which took all of ten minutes to make. I think they flew to Germany and milked a cow...

IMG_6571

And I got vanilla with the rainbow sprinkles. Big surprise.

IMG_6569

The large was too much.

IMG_6573

Then we returned home for Laura's choice of dinner: pork steak & potato wedges. She's gotten really good at cooking this since she does it for herself everytime I am out of town. Nice

IMG_6583

And she brought a little Krupp tradition to the table with Evelyn Krupps' Mexican wedding cake, which is a brilliant little dessert.

IMG_6593

I think she enjoyed her birthday. Let me ask......

"Yes I did!"

Good.

*My parents told us a story of how when they were "seeing" each other they used to drive around a visit numerous dairy establishments ordering multiple ice cream products all within one day and then return home sick and swollen. So it's in my genes people. Get off my back.

Happy Birthday Baby!!!

No comments: