Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Wednesdays With Arnie

I must be really conceited or have and issue with authority or something but, why do I always work for people who seem to have little to no knowledge of what it is their job entails and I end up doing it for them, in turn breaking my neck and making them look good. Guess that's how the world works. I'm not mad about it. Just being perceptive. Which brings me to Arnie.

IMAG0524

Arnie is the guy who I'm replacing. Don't worry, he wasn't fired, just promoted, sideways. But he's the guy who's gonna show me the ropes and the straps and the donut shops along the way. We spent most of the day together and in that short time I learned what Arnie's been up to for the past 40 years.

You see... Arnie grew up in Bensonhurst, and when Arnie was 15 he inadvertently got a job at his neighbors radiator shop. That's radiator with a short 'A'. The shop was owned by two firefighters and when one died, not in a fire, the other gave the shop to Arnie. He made quite the profit when he cornered the neighborhood market in AC repair, especially in the summer months, especially when Ford started using those O-rings in the radiators, because they'd slip every winter, ensuring triple parking outside his shop. As time went on and manufacturers improved their stock, Arnies business began to dwindle and he went to plan B. In 1991 he had a house built out on 715 between 209 & 80 near Peddlers Village and had his wife and two kids move out. He joined them on weekends.

About 5 years ago Arnie sold his shop and moved out, got the job at Bustin and has made his way. His wife works at the Brodheadsville diner, where the food is decent and they lock the doors around 2pm, because she can only go to the mall so much.

The real information I enjoyed hearing was how everyone in the plant feels the way I do about my superior. Glad to know that just 2 days in, I got it pegged. Today was pretty good.

No comments: