Friday, June 11, 2010

Floatin' The Hooch

IMAG0423

You know how long I've been waiting to write that title? Laura told me of this mysterious "Hooch float" that her brothers do, and I'd be remiss if I were to not take advantage of our visit south and see what all the hoopla was about for myself.

IMAG0432

An early day, for this week at least, Kevin & I arrived a little before Brian and headed down to the river to get a beginner course on fishing under my belt. And waders be damned, I hopped right out into that 50 degree water and cast away.

IMAG0438

We didn't catch anything there. Let's blame it on the fog. I don't know how that would make any sense but in a world were I found myself waist deep in a river with a fishing pole in my hand, anything was possible.

IMAG0442

Brian arrived and we headed to the dam at the top of the river by Lake Lanier. I was skeptical at first, with the raft and the flippers and the waders and the fishing pole. Skeptical that I wouldn't end up face to face with some river bottom rock beds. But a moment or two or three of repositioning and weight redistribution I felt reassured and began to cast away.

IMAG0457

A few welcome stopping points along the way gave a chance for some drying out in the sun and regaining feeling in my lower extremities. There were some photo worthy moments, that none of us could resist.

IMAG0051
IMAG0470

The faint purpose behind the trip was to catch fish, and as I had great doubts about my own ability to snare a sweet rainbow trout, even seasoned floaters Brian & Kevin could barely come up with any river meat. They managed to rile up a couple and I was there to catch the action.

IMAG0492
IMAG0062

And as for me, well I did in fact catch myself a little guy. I think it caught me more by surprise than it did him. But you'll be glad to hear that he's been re-released into the wild and will have to explain why he was late getting to wherever he was going.

IMAG0055

Adventure!

No comments: