Saturday, February 11, 2012

Asian Man Plays Basketball

138700894_crop_650x440

Call it the dismal realization of the 2 months between football ending and baseball starting but it looks like I am jumping onto the bandwagon here. I have always said (to myself) that were I to be big into basketball, being loyal to my local, I would be a Knicks fan. The problem has been there's not much to get a potential fan excited about fanning himself over these past few seasons with the Knicks. For a second it looked like they may get LeBron and I actually looked into ticket prices. It wasn't to be. But then they picked up Amar'e Stoudmire and my ears perked up. And then this offseason they went out and got Carmelo Anthony and Mike Bibby who I remember watching play for Atlanta and liking quite a bit. Rounding it out with Tyson Chandler from the reigning champs and my favorite player in the whole league, Baron Davis (I mean, c'mon, the beard is amazing). Now all of the sudden it looks like the Knicks have something to watch, but still I was finding it background noise.

Until this week.

I caught a whiff of Jeremy Lin in passing Sportscenter highlights and so-on, asking "can he keep this up?" and "where did he come from?" and it didn't even register that he was on the Knicks. But I actually sat down last night and watched the game from tip-off and it was completely worth it. Taking down the Lakers like that, outscoring the great Kobe, and smiling thru the whole thing. I did find it suspect how the ESPN cameramen kept seeking out the Asian people in the crowd, but it was too fun a game to worry about the socialogical effects of race and culture on the ignorant media and I am not gonna join the conversation of whether or not he can continue on this record setting pace and give us a show like that every night, but I do know one thing... I have never went online to find out when the next Knicks game was.

Until today.

1 comment:

Mom and Dad said...

ah man...that means Laura has to listen to the whistle blowing and squeaking of those huge sneakers...just could never get into basketball on TV..although played on a girls teams and went to games with Grandpa...