Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Moving A Piano Is Awesome Fun

We moved a piano yesterday. What great fun! I imagine it's very similar to moving an dead elephant into your living room. I can't imagine why anyone would do that but then again, why would anyone move a piano by themselves?

IMG_3108

I borrowed the trailer from Sitao and brought it to my parents house early in the morning. I figured it would take a while to move this thing, plus we were getting the wood burning stove for a future installation and that was a good 4,000 pounds as well. I parked the trailer at the front door.

IMG_3087

I would've gotten in so much trouble for doing this back in the day.

After a good hour of sliding this thing up ramps and across floors the piano was loaded and I was ready to haul this load home.

IMG_3092

I was nervous about the weight, with the piano, stove, an outdoor dresser, a Kustom amp, and a winterguard floor, all of which I imagined was around 4 tons.

IMG_3094

Got home and called my neighbor Keith over to help with the unload. He's an expert in backing up trailers so I let him do the honors, but it didn't make the move easy by any means. We confronted quite a few obstacles, including the hidden door being stuck shut and then getting the piano stuck in the door itself.

IMG_3100

Always an adventure.

IMG_3099

Good news is the piano is here, safe and sound under our front window and I've already composed a four movement symphony based on moving dead elephants.

IMG_3110

It's a stunning piece of work, but next time I have to move that thing, even if it's 2 feet to the left I'm calling professionals.

No comments: