Friday, December 12, 2008

London Digested, pt. II

Here's some photos from the second day of my attempt to stay away from the tourist hot spots. It rained for about two hours right as I got off the train at Fenchurch Street and my one goal for the day was to find a pub Jon had told me about called Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, a place referenced in numerous Dickens novels and also rumoured to be the place Samuel Johnson worked on what would become the first dictionary of the English language. Pretty cool huh? Yeah, I couldn't find it.

IMG_0956
A statue thought to be Roman Emperor Trajan, aka the Virtuous Pagan. There's a nickname you don't hear nowadays.

IMG_0973
I was thinking this would be a good look for me in the 2009

IMG_0981
Don't worry, he sees me

IMG_0992
This is the most beautiful photo this swan has ever taken

IMG_1003
There's a pigeon obesity epidemic in the UK

IMG_1012
Moments later the birds carried this man away. There was nothing I could do.

IMG_1050
This is actually very cool

IMG_1057
Outside Buckingham Palace

IMG_1081
Don't be so coy

IMG_0004
This reminds of something

IMG_0023
Westminster Abbey = Brilliant

IMG_0050
If you try long enough to take a photo of yourself in front of Parliament some stranger will finally come rescue you and offer their services

IMG_0059
Not all great historical figures have great historical posture

IMG_0063
I will model my own landscaping after that of the Houses of Parliament

IMG_0065
Obligatory shot of Big Ben

IMG_0066
In London, ferris wheels turn counter clockwise, unless you're standing on the opposite side of them.

IMG_0087
I stood and watched this for some time

For my final night in England, Jon & Michelle took me out for some good food and drinks. We started off at The Hoop, a pub in Stock.

IMG_0118
IMG_0104

Perfect!

We couldn't decide what we wanted so just ordered three dishes and wherever the waitress placed them, that's what we ate. It worked out well because after two pints...

IMG_0105

and a bowl of winter root soup...

IMG_0109

...I was ready to dig in & I got the heartiest of the three meals.

Meal #1: Homecooked Smoked Ham, 2 Eggs & Chunky Chips

IMG_0110

Meal #2: Hunters Chicken with Chunky Bread

IMG_0111

Meal #3: The Hoop’s Toad in the Hole with Mash & Onion Gravy

IMG_0112

Can you guess which I got?

You know it! Toad in the Hole! And I killed it.

IMG_0113

On our way to the next pub Jon took us thru some backroads which highlighted driving the car thru a fjord, some breathtaking houses, and deciding to pull over on the darkest road I've ever been on to explore an old church.

IMG_0131
IMG_0127
IMG_0132
IMG_0134

Just before we got back home we stopped at one last place to cap off the night with a pint or two of Guinness and some good ol' conversation. We closed the place out.

IMG_0136
IMG_0139

The next morning it was time to go, but not without a final bowl of my beloved Mini Banana Wheat Bisks, the best cereal ever.

IMG_0141

My flight home was rough. A lot of turbulence, but I had great company. A couple of ladies, BB & Jenny, traveling to NYC to do some Xmas shopping. They were a riot. BB all but maimed the row behind trying to change into her "flying socks" in the aisle, and only upon landing did I learn that, in some way, somehow, BB was the original Bridget Jones. She had to change her name to avoid the publicity. Strange. Here we are.

IMG_0147

England is pretty cool.

No comments: