Thursday, October 11, 2007

Handfuls

Haha, those predictions were terrible huh? I guess I'll stick with the only one I got right, the Rockies, to win it all, and that was only out of wishful thinking; damn Phillies. But sadder than that, there's only a handful of games left of my beloved baseball. What to do?

Ok life update:

Home
So Francesca & I moved up here a lil' over a month ago with home buying on the brain. We've since scouted out a handful of homes in areas that we've been researching since the summer only to find out, they're not really what we want (this is a big decision now). We are looking for someplace we can live & grow for at least 10 years, so it's gotta be a winner. So we're fine with it for now, and we continue to look, as the options have been growing exponentially in the past few weeks. More on this later...

Family
Mom & Dad are good. Oddly enough, we haven't seen much of them lately, those busy bees. Hopefully we can get together this weekend to watch a handful of football games. Haven't heard much from Dani since the wedding/party event, but I have reason to believe that she may be partially involved with some publicized incidents in Chicago this past weekend. Tyler turns 25 tomorrow & he's coming over for some london broil & vanilla cake in the evening. As a gift I will give him the CTA card I've been carrying in my wallet for over two years which he can utilize on his upcoming trip to Chicago. Happy birthday bro!

Travel
We just back from a fantastic weekend in Boston/New Hampshire. Leaf peeping, pumpkin picking, stalk destroying; too many things really to put in this already bulky blogging, but never fear. We will devote a handful of separate posts, one for each mini-adventure we had while staying with our beloved Eric Brust.

Music
I received the new Radiohead yesterday. Their novel approach to releasing the album made it unavoidable, even after my record buying self-ban of the past 5 months. I paid €7.09. No real barn burners here, or whatever Radiohead would subject a barn to were they so inclined. Most of the tracks don't raise the pulse above a moderately tempered chill, but it's still Radiohead. It's still awesome.

Other than that:

-I love, to a surprising degree, the new Josh Ritter album (we should've gone to that show in Somerville last weekend)

-Devendra Banhart made another utterly listenable album, hard to do nowadays

-the new Animal Collective is still awesome but I need to spend more time on it

-and of the course the latest from Most Serene Republic strongly pleading it's case for album of the year

Obviously I've got handfuls of new albums to listen to, why, I'm doing it right now. So I feel that there will be many more recommendations made, for those of you who benefit from my highly tuned musical prowess.

Movies
Just saw 'The Darjeeling Limited' this weekend. Of course I loved it, but it wasn't all just the typical Wes Anderson presentation. Yes there was randomly scattered dialogue, the twisted characters, the badass slow motion moments set to Kinks tunes, even brilliant cameos by Anjelica Houston, Bill Murray & Natalie Portman, but this movie seemed a little different. Maybe a little more serious. Aww is Wes growing up. And he can do no wrong.

But this will be the best movie of the year


yeah, that's a handful huh?

TV
Not quite as interesting. Aside from being forced to watch (imagine Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange) a handful of shows like 'What Not To Wear', 'Big Brother' (which is not about me) and 'The Barefoot Contessa' (WHAT!?!) I've been glued to ESPN, since like April. I guess I've missed sports. I have a love/hate thing going on with Jim Rome, and Around the Horn with Toni Reali & Woody Paige is the funniest show on TV. Those PTI guys aren't bad either. I'm having trouble making the transition into football & basketball seasons, but I think this weekend when the Giants go 4-2 and the Cowboys drop to 5-1 it will make things more interesting. PS I love Skip Bayless.

Cats
They're asleep.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm hoping to write more often, by the handfuls, on the personal things, like the music infiltrating my ears & the movies I've been viewing as-of-late, just never thought it was all that interesting. So there it is.

No comments: