Friday, July 29, 2011

Quivering With Desire And The Ecstasy Of Unbridled Avarice

Finally getting around to sifting thru photos from the weekend. Overall summation, vacation with a child no longer becomes vacation. Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed ourselves greatly, but we came back much more tired than when we had left. The stories are true. On with it...

DSC_0026

Our first stop came along the way, about 90 minutes from our final destination in the now abhorred Cleveland (details to come). A small break from driving was all we were looking for, and a minor national treasure to say the least. Nestled tightly in the ghetto of the suburbs lies the home and final resting place of the Parker family, stars of beloved film, A Christmas Story.

DSC_0045
I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!

DSC_0048
Only one thing in the world could've dragged me away from the soft glow of electric sex gleaming in the window.

DSC_0035
Daddy's gonna kill Ralphie!

DSC_0038
All right, I'll get that kid to eat. Where's my screw driver and my plumber's helper? I'll open up his mouth and I'll shove it in.

DSC_0049
He does too, he looks like a pink nightmare!

DSC_0051
Over the years I got to be quite a connoisseur of soap. My personal preference was for Lux, but I found Palmolive had a nice, piquant after-dinner flavor - heady, but with just a touch of mellow smoothness. Life Buoy, on the other hand...

DSC_0052
Be sure to drink your Ovaltine. Ovaltine? A crummy commercial? Son of a bitch!

DSC_0064
Oh, look at that! Will you look at that? Isn't that glorious? It's... it's... it's indescribably beautiful! It reminds me of the Fourth of July!

DSC_0010
the refinished house, plus Laura & child.

DSC_0065
The original shed stands untouched in the backyard where the battle with Black Bart took place. I felt the ghosts.

DSC_0071
We reenacted some scenes from the infamous exchange. Parents one, kids, zip.

DSC_0073
Ralphie grew rhubarb.

DSC_0074
Yuula grabs a free souvenir.


From the Christmas Story Museum.

DSC_0006
The snap of a few sparks, a quick whiff of ozone, and the lamp blazed forth in unparalleled glory.

DSC_0005
That son of a bitch would freeze up in the middle of summer on the equator!

DSC_0014
The headgear really made the movie.

DSC_0015
Oh! The theme I've been waiting for all my life. Listen to this sentence: "A Red Ryder BB gun with a compass in the stock, and this thing which tells time". Poetry. Sheer poetry, Ralph! An A+!

DSC_0024
Yuula is jealous of Ralphie's wardrobe.

DSC_0025
Actual toys from Higbee's.

The only letdown was no access to the furnace in the basement. I wanted to yell "mundane noodle!" while I hit it with a wrench.

Did you know they made a sequel to this film called My Summer Story? It stars Charles Grodin and Mary Steenburgen. I think it's only available on VHS soooooooo, yeah.

No comments: