Friday, March 27, 2009

The Impending Season


I've managed to stay quiet for awhile now, but with opening day only 10 days away I can no longer contain my excitement. Baseball is back and I am happy as a clam. I've been following the Mets in spring training, somewhat, and for the most part, like what I have seen. Johan seems fine, despite rumors. Bats are working. Delgado seems to be picking up where he left off. Beltran seems invigorated. Wright is Wright. Reyes is older & wiser. Pelfrey has been surprisingly dominating in his few appearances. I think to myself, they can't collapse three years in a row can they?

Some Of The Things I'm Am Relatively Excited About For This Fast Approaching Baseball Season

  1. A Real Bullpen! It's a little more than obvious that this was the kryptonite in the Mets well reported collapse from 2008. It has been said, by others, that had the Mets had a competent bullpen they would've walked away with that pennant. I tend to agree. So Francisco Rodriguez, J.J. Putz, Sean Green: I welcome you with open arms. Feel free to do your thing.
  2. Luis Castillo. Yeah that's right. The bumbling 2nd baseman. The starer of perfect strikes. Put in the 2 hole and watch him swing away. He's been nothing short of fantastic this spring. Aggressive at the plate. A wiz on the field. And quick on the basepads. I was excited about his acquisition back at the end of 2007. I wanted to shoot him dead last summer. But now, I smell a comeback.
  3. Citi Field. How could you not be? Shea was such a terrible stadium that Citi Field will be having Mets fans feeling at home in no time. I'm hearing good things about all the fancy amenities and eateries and cozy seating. I'm hoping to get out to at least 2 games, but we will see what time allows.
  4. Corner Outfielders. It's no secret the Mets have a star in centerfield, but I'm excited about the left & right. Not so much as fielders, kind of a boring position, but more at bat. Daniel Murphy is an animal at the plate, whacking triples into the corners and buzzing line drives just over infielders. And Ryan Church has had a great spring, and I think he wants to make up for time lost last season. Careful running those bases. Settle for hitting it out. I feel he's gonna have a banner year and feel good about his decision not to bail on NYC after just one season.
  5. Tatis. I don't know why. I love this guy. I'm gonna miss Endy Chavez, but I think keeping Tatis around makes up for it.

No comments: