Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The End Of Nothingness/Buffalo 11.20.07

Usually, a general lack of activity of this here blog constitutes a general lack of activity in our real lives. Such is the case for the past ten days, but all that is about to change...

Or has it already?

Yesterday I finally got up to Buffalo to work with my beloved O.P. kids. This may be my favorite version of them yet. I call it O.P. 5.0. But in usual Vinnie fashion, my flights were isane. Not quite as insane as a month ago (Newark>Pittsburgh>Philly>Buffalo) but still nutty. When my first flight was delayed I knew I would miss the connection. I didn't wake up at 3am for nothing. I complain, very uncharacteristic of me but, this was getting ridiculous. This was the third time a daytrip to Buffalo was ruined because of delayed flights. After barely insisting on it, a very helpful US Airways employee gave me a new ticket; DIRECT! Relief.
Downside: It was on US Airways Express, and I kid you not, this plane had ashtrays & propellers, eight rows front to back, filled with suits and trenchcoats. I must've looked like a real odd duck in my gym shorts and Krew hoodie, but flying is already uncomfortable enough. They don't get dressed up for me.

dscn6836

Landing early, I had the chance to explore the miniscule Buffalo airport so I took a few photos. Nothing spectacular.

dscn6847

dscn6849

dscn6850

dscn6855

Wrote for seven hours straight, all on videotape. Taught the girls on my own for about three. Went fast. Too fast to take any photos. These one day visits often do. That's the idea.

Naturally, my flight home was delayed. The whole Buffalo airport was delayed. No one seemed upset or even remotely surprised.
dscn6859
It gave me a chance to relax in one of those massage chairs. What a brilliant idea to place these in the airport terminal. Ideal for moments just like this. Finally boarded around 9:30 to find my seat positioned in direct path to yet another giant propeller spining at however fast those things go. More than a little intimidating if not terrifying, I couldn't rest, couldn't sleep a wink on the flight home. Just kept invisioning the blade coming loose and slicing thru the plane, and me. I mean I coulda reached out and touched the thing. Once I gathered myself I was able to snap a few shots that I found interesting.

dscn6860

dscn6871

Got home and crawled into a warm bed around 1am. Twenty-Two hours awake. I had to get up at 6am to drive the wife into Woodbridge. She's managing another store today. Moving on up. Showing 'em how it's done.

Lots more events upcoming; multiple city trips, teaching camps, Thanksgiving, friends visiting from out-of-town, birthdays, visiting the Krupps in Georgia, banquets, farmers markets, all in the next three weeks. Then there's Christmas. So yeah, plan on some updates. I know you can hardly wait.

No comments: